.echoes.

a million words flutter about my head like confused butterflies in a summery haze

10.14.2005

choke it out;
stalling
(fresh and unencumbered)
sinking, burdened, dismantled
i'll sing to you in warm, subtle vapors
rising from muted vocals under my breath.
the words hang on my lips
like beads of water
on a dry evening;
they drop and roll
smoothly down a soft fragile surface
but you begin to sputter
speechless
toneless__
nothing can exhale thoughts
like the smoke
from an old cigarette
that you tried too hard to keep burning
too long
while i sat and waited in disguise
behind the curtain.
go ahead.
figure me out;
pour me over coffee and dim orange light
in the middle of the room
where everyone can see
right there on the table-
you saw me dancing on the walls already
twisting and moving behind the michevious light
creeping in
from the window cracked open
across the room.
and what am i to do now?
(i stretch myself too thin)
maybe you've noticed by now.
the leaves are aching with cold
(but you only hear their agony when night falls
listless and tired)
searching for a burial of sorts
but not before i wake up from this perpetual lifeless dream
it smells like autumn
but i can't feel the insides of my soul anymore
;tangled in the sinews of
darling fading day
(my insides. i lied)
it's all too much for nothing.
crashing, mindless playtime
mulling over the drab hours of
grey time
to stop and continue a coherent process of thought
instead left to obstruct a mental airway;
stalling,
choke it out.

1 Comments:

  • At November 01, 2005 12:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Jen,
    I truly am enraptured with your poetry. I really enjoy the soft and subtle adherences to powerful images and moving emotion. Many times the instances of drama happen not in the words one reads but outside of the words themselves captured within the images portrayed. The subtext of sorrow is clear and well defined and yet it also holds a tinge of sharp retribution. Beautifully done. -Shane

     

Post a Comment

<< Home