.echoes.

a million words flutter about my head like confused butterflies in a summery haze

2.27.2003

alone at last.
it was the same road it alway had been, yet something felt different. perhaps it was the weight of my heart that was pulling me downward, or maybe it was the ringing of that awful six letter word in my head. the music had faded out, and i could no longer feel the warm air of the defroster blowing on my face. my mind began to wander far from my head and the road on which i traveled, yet the sense of danger due to my diverted attention never registered. i just drifted farther away. my heartbeat began to pulse heavily in my ears, and slowly morphed into yours, unnatural like the ticking of a clock, the sound that lulls you to sleep at night.
somehow i think that's what did it...
the cold metal replacing the soft muscle tissue that should be there. the same one that barely protrudes from your chest throbbing with an artificial heartbeat. now its more than just that, accompanied by the maliscious overgrowth of cells that threatens your health.
in an instant, i felt your warm smile pulling my mind out of the puddle fear that it had found. your friendly blue eyes appeared in the back of my thoughts, and i felt a familiar comfort around me, a million miles away from fakery that brought me back to where i was. the road refabricated beneath me, and heat spewed from the defroster. everything was real again, and as i wondered for a moment what had happened, my car bumped over the same railroad tracks that have always been there, shaking off any awkward sensation that remained, and i headed back home.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home